Finasteride is usually taken as a pill, but some people prefer to use it as a topical solution, which is a liquid that you apply to your scalp. Topical finasteride may have some advantages over oral finasteride, such as:
- Less risk of side effects. Oral finasteride can cause some sexual side effects, such as erectile dysfunction, decreased libido, and reduced ejaculate volume. These side effects are rare and reversible, but they can be distressing for some men. Topical finasteride may have less impact on your hormones and your sexual function, as it is absorbed less into your bloodstream.
- More convenience. Topical finasteride can be easier to use than oral finasteride, as you don’t need to swallow a pill every day. You can just apply the solution to your scalp once or twice a day, depending on the strength and the instructions.
- Better results. Some studies have suggested that topical finasteride may be more effective than oral finasteride for hair growth, especially for men who don’t respond well to oral finasteride. This may be because topical finasteride can deliver more finasteride to your hair follicles, where it can block DHT more directly.
Finasteride is a prescription, and you need to get it from a compounding pharmacy, which is a pharmacy that can make custom medications for you. All of our topical solutions are produced by Compounding Lab Ltd.
One of the challenges of using topical finasteride is choosing the right strength for your hair loss. There is no standard or official strength for topical finasteride, as it is not a regulated product. Different compounding pharmacies may offer different strengths, and different doctors may prescribe different strengths. We make all solutions to order, so we are able to produce your compound at any strength
So, how do you know which strength is best for you?
Here are some factors to consider:
- The strength of oral finasteride. The most common and approved dose of oral finasteride for hair loss is 1 mg per day. This dose has been shown to be effective and safe for most men. However, some men may need a higher dose, such as 5 mg per day, which is also approved for prostate problems. If you are switching from oral finasteride to topical finasteride, you may want to choose a strength that is equivalent to your oral dose, or slightly higher, to maintain or improve your results.
- The strength of topical finasteride in studies. There have been several studies that have tested the effectiveness and safety of topical finasteride for hair loss. The most common strengths of topical finasteride used in studies range from 0.1% to 0.25%. These strengths have been shown to be comparable or superior to 1 mg oral finasteride for hair growth, and to have fewer side effects. However, some studies have used higher strengths, such as 0.5% or 1%, and have also reported positive results. You may want to choose a strength that is similar to the ones used in studies, or consult your doctor for their recommendation.
- The combination of topical finasteride with other ingredients. Topical finasteride can be used alone, or in combination with other ingredients that can help your hair loss. One of the most common and effective ingredients to combine with topical finasteride is minoxidil, a topical solution that stimulates blood flow and hair growth. Minoxidil is approved for hair loss, and can be used by men and women. Many studies have shown that using topical finasteride and minoxidil together can produce better results than using either one alone. However, combining topical finasteride and minoxidil may also increase the risk of side effects, such as skin irritation, itching, or burning. If you are using topical finasteride and minoxidil together, you may want to choose a lower strength of topical finasteride, such as 0.05% or 0.1%, to reduce the potential for side effects.
In conclusion, topical finasteride is a promising treatment for hair loss, but it is not a one-size-fits-all solution. You need to choose the right strength for your hair loss, based on your oral dose, the studies, and the combination with other ingredients. You also need to consult your doctor before you start using topical finasteride, and follow their instructions carefully. With the right strength and the right guidance, you can achieve the best results for your hair.